In February 2014, CJSR and stations across the country will create the eleventh annual Homelessness Marathon. CJSR is hiring a homelessness marathon co-ordinator for the 14-hour Homelessness Marathon national broadcast, with a specific focus on outreach to stations, encouraging stations to take on producing and hosting a few hours of the broadcast live in their cities, and improving the news capacities of sister stations by providing tools for producing homelessness radio.
This is a full-time (35 hours/week), contract position.
- Wage: $15.50/hour
- Application Deadline: Friday, August 1st at Midnight EST
- Start Date: August 26, 2013
- End Date: March 30, 2014
- This position is made possible by the Community Radio Fund of Canada (CRFC).
- Preference will be given to current news volunteers.
About the Homelessness Marathon
The Homelessness Marathon serves up 14 hours of people-powered radio, from dusk until dawn, broadcasting from multiple cities across Canada in late February. With the goal of being a consciousness-raising event, the Marathon provides an opportunity for homeless people and their allies to take to the airwaves, and allow a nationwide discussion on homelessness issues and possible solutions.
Tasks (in collaboration with the News Coordinator)
- attend and help facilitate homelessness marathon meetings in collaboration with homelessness-related organizations and shelters across the country
- reach out to people without homes, homelessness-related organizations (iHuman) and shelters across Edmonton to participate actively in the broadcast
- call stations to invite them to host the broadcast on their airwaves and produce content or produce hours in their cities
- produce radio ads to air on all stations that are broadcasting the marathon
- find a poster designer and create flyers
- distribute posters and flyers
- update the homelessness marathon website
- work with programmers at CJSR and across the country on finding guests and booking hours of content
- write a program proposal to CJSR’s programming committee to secure the 14-hour pre-emption
- organize food for the broadcast
- reach out to local and national media to bring attention to the broadcast
- upload radio content on the National Campus/Community Radio Association Program Exchange
- update and improve the new how-to manual for the Homelessness Marathon
- secure volunteers for teching, serving food, etc
Please apply to email@example.com.